Thursday, June 23, 2005

The Hyperbaric Chamber of Growth

Last night was one of my worst nights and best nights.
My wife and I sat in bed and talked long into the night. Both of us were exhausted and needed sleep. But both of us has so much to say and to listen to in each other. This crisis in my life has drawn us so closely together we have been amazed. It has also pulled us so powerfully to God that my wife used the hyperbaric chamber analogy. I was so amazed that she used a sports analogy! Until I realized that she never even thought of it as a sports analogy. :-)

The things in our lives that used to be important but aren't have faded away so quickly we're amazed! Here's the radical changes we've noticed already!

Prayer
Wow do we ever pray more! Constantly. We break into prayer during our conversations with each other often. It's like God pulls up a seat at most of our conversations and we're learning to include Him in them. He's right there. Today I read this powerful verse at the end of Numbers 7 where Moses hears the voice of God speaking to him. It sounded so conversational! That's what our prayer life is becoming. I just long to hear so much more from God. This morning I wept and wept asking to "hear" more from Him. So many questions I ask and although I sense His presence so powerfully at times. I feel Him literally "carry" me through some very dark moments. I still don't hear the answers to the questions that race through my mind and the fears that come like darts seeking a way through the defence of my shield of faith.

This sounds really selfish and I guess it is. But we desire people's prayers so deeply now. I can't tell you how much I long to hear people pray for me. Every time we meet with someone I want to pray with them. And there was one time when I went for a walk with some friends this week and we didn't stop and pray during the walk. All night I kicked myself about that! I missed a great chance! It won't happen again.

Material things
You know, we used to go through the flyers looking at stuff and dreaming of home improvements and the fun stuff we could get. Now when the flyers come they have no appeal. Window shopping at the store just has no appeal either. We're looking at all the clutter we have around our house and wishing we had the energy to clean more of it up and get rid of it! We don't need this stuff!

People
We sure are noticing people more. My wife watches a little bit of news and hears a story about a family that has lost a child and she weeps over them and prays for them with intensity that I've never seen from her before. We see the people around us. Really see them in a way that we haven't noticed their lives before.

These are radical changes that are happening so deeply in our lives. Never before have we been so swiftly changed at such a deep level! Bible school was like a green house of growth for us, but this crisis has been a hyperbaric chamber. Still, the pain is so deep and my symptoms are getting worse. The fears are everpresent too. Simultaneously, we love the work of God in our lives, but we would do almost anything to avoid the pain of this crisis.

10 Comments:

At June 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I will not fear,
for I believe.

I will not doubt,
for I believe.


Jesus, Saviour never fails,
When the storm of life assails,
Then His wonderous power prevails!

I believe."


"He is able, more than able
To accomplish what concerns me today.

He is able, more than able
To handle anything that comes my way.

He is able, more than able
To do much more than I could ever dream.

He is able, more than able
To make me what He wants me to be."

 
At June 23, 2005, Blogger Bruce G. Anderson said...

Dwayne, you amaze me how you are able to stand strong in your faith under these conditions. Seeing you go through this makes me re-examine my own faith, you are a real inspiration.

 
At June 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dwayne, I can only imagine...So are family lifts your family up to a God beyond imagination, that you would feel His presence like a blanket holding you all in His strength, comfort and peace. Shalom...Ron+

 
At June 23, 2005, Blogger SoulPastor said...

Dwayne
I too dealt with the "c" word. I am 40 with 4 boys. Read your blogg, and I am moved to pray for you and you rfamily every day. Know that someone in Winnipeg is lifting you up!

soulpastor777@hotmail.com

 
At June 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep writing friend

 
At June 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dwayne,

Wow -- We and our church will be praying for you and your family (and your church too). Our great God will lead you through. Thanks for sharing yourself through this blog. Your sincerity and openness is a great help and encouragement to me (and, I'm sure, to others).

I'm glad to hear that you're experiencing the support of your community at this time. May you know the Lord's presence and touch.

Your brother in Christ,
Greg Bright (for the Bright family -- and Gateway Community Church)

 
At June 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dwayne,

My heart goes out to you during this difficult time.

In developping your "battle plan" against this disease, you may want to read "outside the box". Found some very solid "alternative authors". I strongly recommend the following two sites:

www.healthquarters.org
www.cancerdecisions.com

These sites (only 2 among many) don't have all the answers. But they contain some very important advice. Feel free to contact me at mpsavard@magma.ca if you want more info.

In Christ,

Michel
Gatineau, Quebec

 
At June 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Dwayne and Family,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. More important, God is with you and He will never leave you or forsake you. He loves you and your family. When you walk over troubled waters, He will be there just as He was for the disciples. We can trust Him for safekeeping and He will give you peace in any storm. I know from experience, my husband was diagnosed with renal cancer when he was not quite 46. After losing my father to the “c” word, I was terrified. But the Lord was merciful and prayers were answered (Words cannot express our gratitude for the many prayers that went up for us at that time when I found it so hard to pray) in that they were able to operate right away and the tumor, although it took up the whole kidney, was confined to only the kidney and had not spread. They removed the kidney and he has had no trace of any re-occurrence. That was 13 years ago. GOD CAN DO MIRACLES! You are such a warrior for God and have such a heart for evangelism and from your journals I can tell how important GH is to you and your mission as a great minister. I know that God has a plan for you. There is a reason for everything that happens and we just need to really trust God. Keep writing in your journals – its great to hear how the Lord is working in your heart and drawing you and Janet closer together and realizing more the importance of fervent prayer, not only for your own situation, but thinking of others as well. You both are and continue to be a great witness for Christ in spite of your situation. God Bless You and your family! The Lord is so much stronger than Satan who tries to attack us when we are weak and you are a living example. Keep strong! From the words of Helen Steiner Rice,

“But if we search His promises, we’ll find everything that’s needed
To lift our faltering spirits and renew our courage, too,
For there’s absolutely nothing too much for God to do
For the Lord is our salvation, and our strength in every fight
Our redeemer and protector, our eternal guiding light,
He has promised to sustain us, He’s our refuge from all harm
And underneath this refuge are the everlasting arms
So cast your burden on Him, seek His counsel when distressed
And go to Him for comfort when you’re lonely and oppressed
For God is our encouragement in trouble and in trials
And in suffering and in sorrow He will turn our tears to smiles.”

 
At June 23, 2005, Blogger Blaze said...

hey DH...
glad to see you finally have a blog, but also glad to see what you're writing about and how you write. i'm sorry i couldn't be there this past sunday when you broke the news of the medical leave, and i now wish i had come.
I sent the link to Leon, and I think that's he's praying for you too. I think it'll be even greater when he comes to visit and we can go for a coffee. I'm sure Leon would like to hear firsthand a lot of what you're going through, and relate it to his life in some cases and how to perservere with faith, despite how much one face in our world.
Thanks for sharing this blog with the world. I hope it puts the seed into even one person that despite circumstances, faith in God can be strong through times such as the days we live in.

 
At December 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY!
» »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home